IEEE Hackathon Latincom (Humanitarian edition)
Important: Competition for IEEE and non-IEEE members (Latin America and the Caribbean countries) with at least 1 ComSoc student/YP member as team member. US$ 1,000 as total competition rewards for team members
Latin American countries are continuously facing diverse challenges in this century. LATINCOM 2020 will have space where students and Young Professionals will give ideas to work on local problems in their countries with the help of their knowledge and skills in any Telecommunication fields. They will learn best practices on how to prepare their proposal and related topics on project design.
We want Latin America students and Young Professionals to be encouraged and apply for the next edition of the IEEE ComSoc Student Competition in 2021. Best project ideas will be awarded in this Hackathon in order they can be the first step on the implementation and application of their projects in the ComSoc Competition. Ideas do not need to be already implemented but must be realistic projects that can be done in practice.
- Deadline for team registration: November 7, 2020 (12 PM GMT-3)
- Online training: November 10-15, 2020
- Final pitch presentations: IEEE LATINCOM 2020 (November 18-20, 2020)
The best solution ideas will be awarded to recognize the academic and professional skills of the participants. The 3 best projects will be awarded with the following reward to team members:
1st position: US$ 500 and certificate
2nd position: US$ 300 and certificate
3rd position: US$ 200 and certificate
All projects must address technical and humanitarian issues:
Topics in communication fields applying any theme from the IEEE ComSoc Technical Committees or Emerging Technical Initiatives. The list and description of these committees are available in the following link:
2. Humanitarian challenges:
Any problem that a local community has is eligible. Also, the solution may be related to any of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that the United Nations has adopted for its action plan by 2030:
Teams between 3 to 4 members can be formed with students and Young professionals, with a maximum of two Young professional members (this includes Graduate Student members) per team
● At least one member of the team must be an IEEE ComSoc student member or ComSoc Graduate student member. Another team members can be non-IEEE students/YP members yet. The Cost for ComSoc student membership is US$ 1 choosing the “Essential” option:
● Teams do not need to be from the same university and must be part of Region 9.
● Mixed gender groups are also encouraged to be formed.
Template for competition presentations
- Each team must submit a video presentation (3 min) with project expiation according ppt template.
- The presentation can be in Spanish or in Portuguese. However, slide text must be in English.
- The video must be sent as a YouTube link together with slide presentation in ppt or pptx format according template.
- Send the video and the presentation with the Subject: [Hackathon Latincom] Video and presentation team [Team name]
Project presentations will take place during IEEE LATINCOM 2020. The time for each team presentation will be defined soon.
Date: November 20, 2020
● Creativity in the application of technology in telecommunications
● Social impact on humanity or local community
● Quality of presentation
● Possible application in other parts of the world
|Team Name||University||Country||Number of member per team|
|UnivalleIoT||Universidad del Valle||Bolivia||3|
|Sem Fronteiras||UnB / UFJF/ UERJ/UnC||Brazil||4|
|Mercurio||Universidad de los Andes||Colombia||4|
|The lions||Universidad del Quindío||Colombia||3|
|SIMAGRA||Universidad Politécnica Salesiana||Ecuador||4|
|The Dalton Gang||Universidad de El Salvador||El Salvador||4|
|Byters||Universidad de las Americas Puebla||Mexico||4|
|Hermosillo dream team||Instituto tecnológico de Hermosillo||Mexico||4|
|IEEE UNACAR||Universidad Autónoma del Carmen||Mexico||4|
|Statistic Shape||Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá||Panama||4|
|JIOT||Universidad Tecnológica del Perú||Peru||3|
|KindFiber||Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú||Peru||3|
|Team ZAMS||Universidad Nacional del Callao||Peru||4|
|JAV||Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico||Puerto Rico||3|