IEEE HAC/SIGHT Projects Call for Proposals Focused on COVID-19 Response
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the world in an unprecedented manner, and as such, HAC/SIGHT (Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology) are offering a Call for Proposals to support IEEE member grassroots humanitarian technology and sustainable development projects that utilize technology to address the COVID-19 situation.
As the pandemic has not only affected health, but also exacerbated poverty and laid bare systemic inequality throughout the world, HAC/SIGHT are prioritizing immediate impact, poverty mitigation and inequality reduction through the following project areas:
- Food Security
- Infection Control Devices
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
- Medical Devices
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Sustainable Power Sources
- Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene
- Other pandemic-related topics
All applicants should take the Message from IEEE on coronavirus COVID-19 into consideration when preparing their proposal, particularly “We request that all members avoid conducting in-person activities in areas impacted by the coronavirus threat and instead maximize the use of our online and virtual alternatives.”
01 March 2021
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
- NOTE: Applicants are strongly encouraged to take the free HAC/SIGHT online training course Project Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation on the IEEE Learning Network prior to developing your submission.
- A live Q&A was held to address common pitfalls in completing the new Project Assessment Matrix. The recording is available here.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications must be submitted via the IEEE HAC/SIGHT Online Funding Opportunities Portal
- First time applicants will need to create a user account in order to submit a proposal
- Please download the template files which are required to complete the online proposal
HAC/SIGHT COVID-19 PROJECTS AWARDED FUNDING IN 2020
In 2020, HAC/SIGHT held a Special Call for Proposals to support grassroots humanitarian technology and sustainable development projects that addressed the COVID-19 situation by IEEE members in their local communities.
There was a wonderful response of 229 proposals submitted and IEEE HAC/SIGHT awarded funding for 101 projects to be implemented in response to COVID-19. A list of funded projects with a brief description of each one can be found in this spreadsheet.