Because of the pandemic companies, and public administrations, have been moving production and services to the cyberspace (as much as possible) and this is taken as an indication that the digital transformation is accelerating. For sure what is accelerating is the perceived effects, by workers and consumers/citizens, that the cyberspace has become an everyday reality substituting in many aspects the physical space.
Dell Technologies have been monitoring the Digital Transformation of companies since 2016 and every year they publish the results. The latest results are available now and you can get a quick overview in this video.
Their conclusions are also summarised in the graphic I am showing, resulting from over 4,800 interviews to top management in companies around the world.
The graphic splits the companies’ landscape among
- Digital Laggards (those that are not considering at all the “existence” of a DX),
- Digital Followers (companies that are just waiting for others to initiate the transformation and watch the result,
- Digital Evaluators (that are considering how to embark in/execute the digital transformation),
- Digital Adopters (that are deploying the Digital Transformation to various extent), and
- Digital Leaders (that are paving the way by pushing the Digital Transformation on uncharted territory).
The result, shown by the graphic, indicates that there are significantly more companies evaluating how to transition and even more executing the transition. This is a clear indication that the acceleration is real.